What to Do Following a Richmond Car Crash
Have you been in a car accident in Richmond? Here are five crucial steps you must take to get the help you need and win a fair settlement.
Five Crucial Steps You Must Take After a Car Accident in Richmond
You have been in a car accident in Richmond and are suddenly in a position that is new to you. You check around your vehicle to make sure everyone is okay and immediately wonder what you should do and what steps you should take.
Being in a Richmond car crash is a scary experience. Everything moves quickly and you are left facing a whirlwind of a situation. While you know you are supposed to be careful of whom you speak with and what you say, you are being asked what feels like a million questions and are unsure of what to do next.
The following are the five most crucial steps to take immediately following a Richmond car wreck:
- Call 911. First and foremost you need to get emergency help on the way. The police will arrive and document the scene in a police report that is neutral and unbiased.
- See a doctor immediately. When the medical teams arrive, they will most likely recommend that you go to the emergency room. While you may not think you have severe injuries right away, your body is in a state of shock and often times you may not even realize what has happened to you physically until a doctor has examined you.
- Follow up at all scheduled appointments. Once you have spoken with the doctor, it is crucial that you follow his medical guidance and go to all the follow-up appointments he requires. This can have a significant impact on your settlement with the insurance company. Missing any of these appointments can cause you to lose out on valuable payments for your time and medical expenses.
- Take pictures of your injuries and car damage. If you are able, take pictures of the damage both to your body and to your vehicle. If you are not in a state where you are able to document your injuries and the scene of the accident on film, ask a friend or family member to help.
- Contact a Richmond personal injury lawyer. Before speaking with the insurance companies, contact a Richmond traffic injury attorney at Christina Pendleton & Associates. You have a lot to think about with the trauma of the accident. Putting legal help on your side will help ease your stress and give you a team of lawyers that will fight tenaciously for a settlement that will cover your losses and compensate you fairly.
There is a lot going on at the scene of any accident. First and foremost, it is crucial that you take care of yourself and your passenger’s injuries. Then, contact an attorney for help on handling the insurance companies and getting fair compensation for your trauma.