Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents are a persistent threat to the safety of Petersburg residents, causing many injuries and tens of thousands of deaths in the U.S. Many of these accidents can be prevented, but are caused by reckless or intentionally negligent behavior on the part of other drivers. Injured victims or the families of those wrongfully killed, may be able to recover compensation for damages. If you have lost a loved one or have been injured in a car accident, contact the Petersburg car accident attorney at Pendleton Law to discuss your legal options. We can be reached online through our contact form or by calling (804) 250-5050.
Why Choose Pendleton Law
- We are the best opportunity for recovering maximum compensation and have been representing Petersburg clients injured in car accidents for years.
- We have a deep understanding of insurance company tactics and will ensure you are treated fairly.
- We don’t get paid by the hour, but on a contingency fee basis, meaning we will only get paid when you win.
Why You Need a Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer
Immediately following an accident, a car accident lawyer will begin to collect critical evidence and build your case while you focus on recovering from your injuries. The right injury lawyer will have the resources to reconstruct the accident scene and determine the liable parties. All on your behalf, they will question witnesses, collect and analyze medical records, review any records and driving history of the at-fault motorist or liable party, as well as utilize expert witnesses to testify in your case. An attorney will also handle all communication and negotiations with insurance adjusters.
Injuries don’t come with a clear price tag and a large part of settling an injury claim is determining the monetary value of the following damages:
- Lost wages
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Damage to property
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of ability to perform tasks in day to day life
- Sorrow and mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of deceased’s potential earnings and benefits
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Punitive damages.
Actual damages, such as medical bills or property damage may seem relatively simple to calculate, whereas costs for pain and suffering and similar damages can be difficult to estimate. A lawyer can assist you by evaluating your case, assessing its worth, then negotiating for a recovery amount that is fair.
Types of Car Accident Cases We Handle
Our car accident attorneys handle all types of traffic accident cases, including:
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- DUI Accidents
- Fatal Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Uninsured Motorist Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Criminal Speeding and Reckless Driving
- Wrongful Death
Accidents caused by negligence often result in severe injuries or death for drivers and passengers alike. Severe injuries can include amputations, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, fractured bones, internal damage, and more.
Car Accident Liability in Petersburg
Petersburg operates under Virginia’s fault-based system, which for car accident victims, means the person who is at-fault for the accident is financially responsible for any losses caused. The liable party’s insurer will then be on the hook for compensating injured parties in the car crash, up to policy limits.
There are three options, in which victims can pursue compensation:
- Filing a claim with their own insurance company, if they have the coverage. In turn, the insurer will pursue a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company in order to be reimbursed.
- Filing a claim directly with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver in civil court.
However, under Virginia’s contributory negligence rule, if victims are found to be at all at fault then they are not able to collect any compensation.