Petersburg Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Serious motorcycles accidents often leave injured victims struggling both physically and financially. Steep medical bills, missed wages, high costs to repair or replace bikes, and additional unexpected costs and losses can quickly add up. If the negligence of another driver, poor road conditions or a defective bike part caused your motorcycle crash, you may be entitled to recover compensation with the help of a Petersburg motorcycle accident attorney. Call Pendleton Law at (804) 250-5050 so we may review your legal options in a free consultation.
Why Choose Our Petersburg Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- We have extensive experience protecting the legal rights of motorcycle accident clients against insurance companies who are trying to take advantage of them.
- We have the resources of a large firm, but the ability to provide each case with personalized service it requires.
- Our attorneys use the latest advances in technology to make sure your case runs as efficiently and quickly as possible.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Petersburg
Over 5,000 motorcyclists are killed every year in the U.S., commonly due to the following accident causes:
- Speeding: A major cause of motorcycle fatalities in Virginia.
- Distraction: Between 2016 and 2017, Virginia saw an increase of double the number of distracted riding fatalities. Distractions can include cellphone use, adjusting the radio, roadside distractions, passengers, other vehicles, etc.
- Failure to Yield: Motorcycles or cars failing to yield the right of way is a common cause of collisions.
- Left Turn Accidents: Left turns consistently cause accidents due to errors in judging distance.
- Alcohol or Drugs: A leading cause of motorcycle accidents in the U.S., involved in 25% of fatal motorcycle crashes in 2016.
- Unlicensed Riders: Twenty-seven percent of fatal accidents in 2016, involved motorcyclists who were either unlicensed or had an invalid motorcycle license.
- Inexperienced Riders: A lack of training and practice increases the chances of motorcyclists being involved in accidents.
- Lane Splitting: Accidents happen when motorcyclists illegally share a lane with a motor vehicle.
After an accident, time is of the essence, and swift action is particularly important in motorcycle accident cases. Evidence must be gathered quickly and witness statements obtained before accuracy is lost. Once a motorcycle accident lawyer is hired, they have the resources to immediately begin investigating the accident. Experts will be hired to reconstruct the accident if necessary, as well as engineers and medical experts. Consulting and hiring an attorney as soon as possible will ensure a strong case is built on your behalf.
Petersburg Motorcycle Laws
Petersburg has the following set of motorcycle laws, as dictated by the state of Virginia, and designed to keep riders safe:
Motorcycle operators and passengers must wear a helmet. In addition, a form of eye protection, such as a face shield, safety glasses or goggles must be used. (Code of Virginia § 46.2-910)
Both a seat and a footrest must be available. (§ 46.2-909)
Two motorcycles may drive abreast (side by side) in a single lane. (§ 46.2-857)
Since riders can be seen giving hand and arm signals, motorcycles are not required to have turn signals. ( § 46.2-1038)
Motorcycles are allowed to drive through a red light, if the signal has not registered their presence after two complete cycles of the signal or after two minutes. (§ 46.2-833)
Motorcycles being operated must be equipped with a rear view mirror, allowing operators to see a distance of at least 200 feet. (§ 46.2-1082).
Call for a Free Consultation Today
There is no fee or obligation for letting us evaluate your case. We take cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning we will not be paid unless you win. For help from one of our Petersburg motorcycle accident lawyers, call (804) 250-5050 or reach us online.