Accidents involving ridesharing and ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft are skyrocketing in number. Suppose you or a loved one has been wounded as a ride-sharing service passenger. In that case, you must understand your legal options as a pedestrian struck by a rideshare driver or as a rideshare driver. Please contact our rideshare accident lawyer in Chesapeake for a no-cost consultation.
Three Tiers of Liability in Ridesharing Accidents
State regulations of ridesharing services are not uniform, and neither are the firms’ guidelines subject to frequent revision. Companies will frequently fight to pay out on auto accident claims, even though their policies explicitly state that they will be responsible for damages in the event of an accident.
Depending on whether or not the driver was on the clock at the time of the incident, the company’s current policies provide one of three tiers of protection:
- When the app is off: The driver will be held responsible for any damages under their auto insurance policy.
- When the driver is waiting for passengers: Responsibility under Uber and Lyft policies is capped at $100,000. This liability covers damages up to $25,000 and injuries up to $50,000 per person and accident. State laws may sometimes impose stricter limitations.
- When the passenger is in the car with the driver, Uber and Lyft provide drivers with $1 million in liability insurance. They also carry insurance to protect them against drivers who do not have sufficient coverage.
Contact a Chesapeake rideshare accident attorney for help.
For a Free Legal Consultation
Call The Personal Injury Lawyer Hotline.
How Do Rideshare Insurance Policies Work?
Different rideshare companies have different insurance policies.
Lyft’s Rideshare Insurance
Lyft offers contingent liability coverage if the app activates the driver mode but no trip has been accepted. The policy has a $25,000 limit on property damage and a $50,000 cap on bodily injury.
Lyft’s insurance includes a $1 million per accident limit from when a passenger accepts a request until the driver completes the trip on the app. Even if you already have a commercial ridesharing policy, this will be in addition.
Uber’s Rideshare Insurance
When the Uber app is active and a driver is waiting for a trip, both parties are insured for third-party responsibility should an accident occur. The policyholder’s legal responsibility to pay for the medical expenses or repair costs of others is covered.
Let the Heavy Hitters Take On Your Case 804-250-5050
The Minimum Coverage Limit in Chesapeake
When an accident occurs, and the driver is not at fault, they file a claim with their insurance company. A driver may be protected by their own auto insurance coverage in such a scenario. The minimum coverage limit in Virginia:
- $50,000 per person
- $100,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage incurred
All Uber drivers are protected when they pick up a passenger. It is only valid when a ride request is accepted. They are protected by the following:
- $1 million in third-party liability coverage is provided to cover the costs of repairing or replacing damaged vehicles, pedestrians, or property.
- Bodily harm protection in the event of an accident in which the at-fault driver has either no insurance or insufficient coverage, respectively, is covered by an uninsured or underinsured motorist policy.
- The inability to track down a hit-and-run driver is also covered in the above insurance policy.
Central Virginia's Top Rated Personal
Injury Lawyers 804-250-5050
Compensation After An Uber Or Lyft Accident
To be compensated for injuries sustained in a ridesharing accident is not dissimilar to being compensated for injuries sustained in any other kind of personal injury accident. In case of an accident that results in injury, you may be eligible to receive the following forms of financial assistance:
- Medical costs include those incurred immediately after the accident and those incurred in the future.
- Damages due to Inability to Work or Job LossInjuries may result in the inability to work or the loss of a person’s employment.
- Vehicles, bicycles, and personal belongings are all fair game for property damage.
- Injuries may result in lifelong mental and physical suffering.
- Punitive damages may be awarded in extreme circumstances.
Let Us Be The Heavy Hitters For Your Case Speak To An Attorney Now
Contact a Rideshare Accident Lawyer to Represent You
If you were hurt while taking rideshare in Chesapeake, VA, you might be able to get money for medical bills, time off from work, and emotional distress. Accidents involving ridesharing services may be tricky, so discussing your case with a rideshare accident attorney with expertise in this area is important.
At Christina Pendleton & Associates, our rideshare accident lawyers can help you file a claim and get the compensation you deserve. We are committed to your cause and would work with you, so you receive adequate compensation. Contact us today to get a legal assessment of your case.
The Pendleton Law Team Is Here For You 804-250-5050