In the last year, several crashes involving rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have occurred in the Newport News area. These accidents can be very serious since they involve commercial vehicles with confusing insurance policies. Because of this, more and more people are left in the dark about their next steps.
If you’ve been involved in an accident because of the negligence of a rideshare service driver, you need an attorney that knows the answers to your questions. Luckily, our team is skilled in cases such as these and are eager to support you throughout your claims process.
We understand the situation you are in following a car accident. And, we are ready to fight on your side. For more information about these types of cases, continue reading on.
What Are the Damages that Can Be Recovered in Rideshare Accidents in Newport News?
For many accidents, the losses you can be compensated for are similar. Some of the general damages you can collect include:
- Medical bills related to the accident: If you are involved in an accident and sustain injuries that require medical assistance, you can get these losses compensated for.
- Lost wages or income from a rideshare accident: If the injuries you have sustained keep you away from your job and the money you earn, you can add these to any calculated losses.
- Any property and vehicle damage sustained: Of course, if you were involved in a car accident, your vehicle will likely be damaged. When this occurs, all damage you have experienced will need to be calculated.
- Pain and suffering: We understand more than others that being in a car accident can cause lasting mental and emotional damage. This is why we make sure this is compensated for.
In rare cases, the courts can award punitive damages to victims. Punitive damages are only awarded if the accident was caused due to extreme negligence. These damages are made for the liable party to pay and will ensure that no accidents like yours will occur in the future.
For a Free Legal Consultation
Call The Personal Injury Lawyer Hotline.
How do Rideshare Policies Work?
These specific cases involving rideshare drivers are somewhat complicated because of the different levels of insurance tiers. What we mean is that sometimes rideshare drivers have various insurance companies they work with, which also means their policies vary.
Sure, a driver will have their own personal policy; however, for rideshare drivers, three tiers of coverage will apply in different situations. Here are the three different types of coverage rideshare drivers could have under one policy:
- Tier 1: This tier will apply if their application is turned off, and there are no signs of picking up other passengers. When this is the case, the driver would likely be liable under the eyes of their own insurance company.
- Tier 2: If the rideshare application is turned on, they will be under a company-like policy. This basic auto insurance policy provides $50,000 of liability protection per person and $100,000 for all people involved in an accident. There is also a $25,000 limit on property damage coverage. These amounts may be higher if required by state law.
- Tier 3: This policy comes into play if the rideshare application is switched on and the driver is transporting a customer. The policy will generally include a one million policy that can apply to all damages and losses sustained in a given accident.
Let the Heavy Hitters® Take On Your Case 804-250-5050
Who Is Held Liable in These Kinds of Cases?
When it comes to accidents that happen when ridesharing, it’s sometimes difficult to determine liability and fault. However, liability will solely depend on the circumstances and details that occur. To make things simple, the factors that will affect your claim when it comes to rideshare accidents include:
- How the accident happened
- Who was involved in the accident
- The relationship you had with the ridesharing service
Based on these general factors, liability can be established. In Virginia, rideshare drivers are considered independent service providers. However, there are a few things that need to be looked at. For example, let’s say a rideshare driver hits your car and causes an accident. In this case, it needs to be determined if they were on the clock and transporting customers or if they were off duty.
If they were off duty, their own insurance companies would need to be negotiated with. But, if they were on the clock, other insurance policies could apply. We know cases like these are complex and very tricky. Luckily, we specialize in cases like these and have the experience needed to obtain the highest amount of compensation for the losses you have sustained.
Central Virginia's Top Rated Personal
Injury Lawyers 804-250-5050
Speak With Our Trusted Team of Rideshare Accident Attorneys Serving Newport News, Today!
Our skilled attorneys know exactly what to do when it comes to rideshare accident cases in Newport News. Not only can we work together to find proof of liability, but we can also calculate all losses you have sustained and fight for what you are owed.
Because rideshare accidents are complicated, questions will always arise. For more information about cases such as these, or if you wish to begin your claim, contact us today.
The Pendleton Law Team Is Here For You 804-250-5050