According to Virginia law, homeowners, business owners, and other types of landowners must take reasonable measures to protect visitors from slipping and falling on their property. If you’ve fallen on someone else’s property and sustained an injury, you may be eligible to file a claim.
The attorneys at Pendleton Law can help you file a claim against the property owner responsible for your injury. Our accident lawyers have an impressive amount of experience handling slip and fall cases just like yours, so you can be confident that they have what it takes to secure a fair settlement.
Examples of Property Owner Negligence That Can Cause a Slip and Fall Accident
There are a number of different negligent actions that can result in a dangerous slip and fall accident. Our accident lawyers have filed claims against property owners for a variety of reasons in Newport News, VA.
Our attorneys can investigate and file a claim for a slip and fall incident caused by any of the following examples of property owner negligence:
- Slippery floors
- Obstruction blocking a path or hallway
- Lack of safety hazard warning
- Uneven floor
- Slippery sidewalk
- Carpet defect
- Poor property maintenance
- Insufficient lighting
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall incident caused by one of these factors or another instance of property owner negligence, you might be able to receive compensation for your losses. Contact a lawyer from our firm today to see if your accident and injury qualify for a premises liability claim.
For a Free Legal Consultation
Call The Personal Injury Lawyer Hotline.
Proving Negligence in a Slip and Fall Accident Case
To secure the compensation you need to pay your medical bills and make up for lost income, your accident attorney must investigate your accident and find the evidence required to prove fault.
To prove fault, or negligence, your lawyer must use the evidence they find to establish at least one of the following elements:
- The property owner caused the safety hazard that led to your injury
- The property owner was aware of the safety hazard but failed to remove it or warn you about it
- The property owner should have known about the safety hazard
If your attorney can find evidence that proves one of these elements to be true, you’ll likely receive compensation for your injuries and losses. In the event that your attorney is unable to obtain sufficient evidence, we’ll advise you on any other legal options that are available to you.
Let the Heavy Hitters Take On Your Case 804-250-5050
A Lawyer Can Negotiate With the Insurance Company
Most slip and fall accident losses are covered by the property owner’s general liability insurance provider. That being said, insurers are often reluctant to offer fair compensation to honest claimants. They’re also known for trying to shift blame onto accident victims to avoid paying for all their expenses.
We’re familiar with all the dishonest tactics that insurers use to deny and delegitimize claims. Our accident attorneys will cut through their phony accusations and pressure them to offer a fair settlement for your slip and fall accident. Our lawyers are first-rate negotiators, so it’s likely that they’ll reach an offer that covers all of your medical bills and accident-related losses.
Central Virginia's Top Rated Personal
Injury Lawyers 804-250-5050
How Much Your Slip and Fall Case Is Worth
Slip and fall accident settlements in Newport News, VA, can vary widely depending on the injuries and losses involved. Instead of offering a settlement estimate, we can provide information on the damages you might receive if your claim is successful.
Depending on the ways that your slip and fall incident has affected your life and livelihood, you might receive any number of the following damages:
- Medical bills: These damages can help you pay for any doctor’s appointments, hospital visits, ambulance rides, medications, or assistive devices you need to recover from your injury. They can also cover the cost of ongoing and future care.
- Lost wages: It’s not uncommon for fall-down victims to need to call out of work to attend medical appointments and get some much-needed rest. If you miss work because of your injury, your accident attorney will secure compensation to make up for your lost wages.
- Decreased earning capacity: If you’ve sustained a permanent injury or disability in a fall-down incident, you may be unable to continue working at your current job. If that’s the case, these damages can help you support yourself and those who depend on you.
- Pain and suffering: If your injuries are painful, these damages can help you cope with the pain and suffering you’ve experienced.
- Diminished quality of life: Permanent and long-term injuries can seriously affect a person’s ability to enjoy life. If you’ve noticed a significant decrease in your quality of life after your slip and fall, an attorney from our team can add these damages to your claim.
Let Us Be The Heavy Hitters For Your Case Speak To An Attorney Now
How Long You Have to File a Slip and Fall Claim
If you want to receive full compensation for your slip and fall injuries, knowing how long you have to file a lawsuit is important. According to VA Code § 8.01-243, you have exactly two years from the date of your fall to submit a suit.
Our accident lawyers are fully aware of the deadlines and government requirements that apply to your case. They’ll do their best to have all the important documents prepared and submitted before the two-year deadline.
If you’ve procrastinated and put off hiring an attorney, you might not be able to receive compensation for your losses. Contact our firm today to see if there are any alternative options you can take advantage of to hold the property owner responsible for your losses.
Speak With an Attorney about your Slip and Fall Accident in Newport News Today
If you’ve taken a fall due to another person’s failure to remove safety hazards from their home or property, you have the right to hold them liable for your medical bills and other losses. The money you receive can give you the support you need to recover from your injury and cope with the long-term effects of your accident.
To get an early start on your premises liability claim, contact the team at the Pendleton Law Team today. A lawyer will meet with you via a free consultation to discuss your case and legal options.
The Pendleton Law Team Is Here For You 804-250-5050