Richmond Quadriplegia Lawyer
Permanent quadriplegia is absolutely life-changing. If someone else caused or significantly contributed to your serious, lifelong injury, you deserve to seek restitution from that person or company. A quadriplegia accident lawsuit won’t reverse the damage, but it can go a long way toward covering the lifetime expenses related to your disability. Working with an esteemed local Richmond quadriplegia lawyer can give you the power you need to win your case.
Pendleton Law is in the business of protecting victims’ rights. Our attorneys are passionate about representing victims who are living with permanent injuries after a preventable accident. We know exactly how to care for our clients’ needs – personally, professionally, and financially. We can aggressively represent your case in pursuit of the fair compensation we believe is your right. For a free, confidential legal consultation, call our office at (804) 250-5050.
Why Choose Us?
- We have a long history of winning personal injury cases on behalf of our clients. Our lawyers have years of experience handling serious to catastrophic injury cases.
- We are a highly rated law firm with a reputation in our community for obtaining outstanding results. We have successfully resolved thousands of cases in Virginia.
- We have the resources, technology and personnel to put toward your claim. Your case will benefit from our highly qualified attorneys and capabilities.
- We help clients with quadriplegia lawsuits in Richmond on a contingency fee basis. You will not owe us anything in attorney’s fees for your case unless we win.
What Can a Quadriplegia Lawyer Do for You?
A quadriplegia claim is not the type of case a plaintiff should try to handle alone. A serious injury deserves attention from an experienced attorney. Without help from an attorney, an insurance company could take advantage of you as a client and offer much less than your injury is worth. After you hire an attorney, however, an insurance company will have no choice but to take your claim seriously. An insurance adjuster will negotiate with your lawyer to come up with a fair and full amount for your damages. If a settlement is not possible, your attorney can represent you at trial in Richmond instead. Hiring a lawyer to handle your quadriplegia case for you can give you peace of mind.
Quadriplegia is one of the most serious injuries a person can suffer. It is the permanent loss of sensation and movement (paralysis) in all four limbs, the trunk, and possibly the upper body as well. Injuries to the cervical spine, or the uppermost vertebra (C1-C7) in the spinal cord, can cause quadriplegia. Quadriplegia can cause partial or complete paralysis in the affected area. The higher up the injury, the worse the damage on the body. Patients with injuries above the C4 level may need respirators to breathe.
Aside from causing loss of movement and sensation, quadriplegia can also cause numerous health complications, such as chronic pain, bedsores, blood clots, spastic muscles, trouble breathing, and loss of bladder and bowel control. Quadriplegics can still live long, happy, and fulfilling lives, but most often with lifetime treatment and live-in care, depending on the severity of the condition. Modern medicine and innovative treatment methods help lengthen the expected lifespan of people with quadriplegia, as well as help them remain active and lead productive lives.
What Causes Quadriplegia?
Traumatic accidents can cause injury to the upper spine that results in quadriplegia. Anything that causes a blow to the cervical spine, a spinal cord fracture, or spinal cord severance can result in loss of function in all four limbs. If a drunk driver, careless employer, negligent product manufacturer, incompetent physician, or another party caused your accident and permanent injury, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit so speak with a caring Richmond spinal cord injury lawyer as soon as possible. The most common accidents that cause quadriplegia are:
In all of these situations, someone else could be to blame for causing the catastrophic accident. A lawsuit can be the most effective way to get justice and restitution for your serious injury. You could qualify to recover damages such as past and future medical expenses, physical pain, emotional suffering, mental anguish, lost quality of life, lost wages, lost capacity to earn, and more.
What Do You Need to Prove a Quadriplegia Claim?
If you believe someone else is liable for your personal injury, work with an attorney for assistance proving your claim. The burden of proof will fall to you, the plaintiff, under the rules of the civil justice system. It will be you or your lawyer’s responsibility to prove that the defendant is more likely than not responsible for your damages. An attorney will have the experience to help you prove your case using the evidence available. Winning a personal injury case in Virginia generally requires proof of four elements.
- Duty to exercise a reasonable degree of care. The person you are accusing of causing your accident (the defendant) must have owed you a certain duty of care based on the circumstances. A driver, for example, may have owed you the right-of-way as a pedestrian.
- Negligence in fulfilling the duty of care. The defendant must have been negligent, reckless or wanton in breaching the duty of care owed to you. Negligence refers to doing something or failing to do something that someone else would not have, such as someone texting and driving.
- Causation between the breach of duty and your injury. Your lawyer must be able to establish a causal link between the defendant’s negligence and your quadriplegia. The defendant’s actions must be the main reason for your injury. Your lawyer must prove your quadriplegia would not exist were it not for the defendant.
- Compensable damages suffered. Finally, your lawyer will need to show proof of compensable damages, such as medical bills, pain and suffering, property damages, and lost quality of life. Without proof of compensable losses, such as medical bills and pay stubs, you will not have grounds to bring a lawsuit in Virginia.
At Christina Pendleton & Associates, we know money will not reverse the incredible damages and losses you have suffered because of someone else’s negligence. We have seen firsthand, however, how a successful settlement or jury verdict can change the life of someone with a catastrophic injury.
A positive outcome could help your family pay for the lifetime costs of quadriplegia, which could reach into the hundreds of thousands. It could also reimburse your past and future lost wages, as well as pay for your significant pain and suffering. Working with our attorneys can increase your chances of winning the compensation you need to move forward after a catastrophic injury.
Hire a Richmond Quadriplegia Attorney and File a Lawsuit
Pain and suffering damages are often extensive in cases involving permanent and severely disabling injuries. The jury decides pain and suffering damage amounts based on the plaintiff’s age, the extent of the injury, and degree of negligence on the defendant’s part. You could receive a six- or seven-figure verdict for your injuries with a great lawyer by your side. Our firm knows money isn’t everything when living with a permanent disability, but we also know it can provide a future of financial stability for you and your family.
For those who are quadriplegic due to the negligence of another, talk with the Richmond injury lawyers in our office. We can answer your questions, discuss your future, and help you hold negligent parties accountable. We know quadriplegia is a very difficult diagnosis to accept. We want to make this time in your life a little easier. Contact us for a free legal consultation with a Richmond quadriplegia lawyer to discuss your accident claim.