Living in Charlottesville, Virginia, means making use of the city’s walking malls, museums, and other active entertainment options. However, if you suffered spinal cord trauma as a result of a catastrophic accident, your life may be considerably less active, more painful, and possibly financially challenging.
Spinal cord injury attorneys from The Pendleton Law Team provide Charlottesville and the surrounding areas with committed legal assistance to assist victims like you in making a financial recovery.
Our knowledgeable attorneys understand how to best handle your case and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Starting with a free consultation, our personal injury lawyers can evaluate the value of your spinal injury claim and file it before the statute of limitations for personal injury expires.
The Vitality of Spinal Cord Injuries in Personal Injury Settlements
You rely on your spinal cord whenever you move your foot or clench your fist. This network of nerves extends from your spine’s base down to the base of your skull, where it joins the brain. Neurons move along the cord, enabling us to move and feel our extremities.
While the cord is securely protected by thirty-two vertebrae, the pressure on these vertebrae is limited. Many of our clients seek our assistance following vehicle accidents, truck accidents, or slip and fall incidents that cause injury to the spinal column and spinal cord.
Catastrophic Injuries Impact Settlement Amounts
Any spinal cord injury necessitates rapid medical attention. To strengthen the spinal column or remove bone pieces that may be pushing on the cord, surgery is usually required. Others require the replacement or fusion of their vertebrae.
Following surgery, a lengthy hospital stay and expensive rehabilitation are required. In the first year after a spinal cord injury, many patients accrue medical expenses totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars, and according to the Christopher & Dana Reeves Foundation, lifetime costs can be upwards of a million dollars.
A full-spinal cord-damaged patient might receive experimental treatment to speed recovery. It is uncommon to feel completely normal right away after surgery. Instead, victims and their loved ones must endure a taxing schedule of rehab and even mental health counseling, few of whom have the financial means to cover this care.
For a Free Legal Consultation
Call The Personal Injury Lawyer Hotline.
Determining Compensation for Your Spinal Cord Injury Case
When calculating the projected compensation for your Charlottesville spinal cord injury accident, lawyers consider your case’s unique circumstances. For example, if you shared responsibility for the accident that resulted in your injury, your settlement would be drastically impacted. Your settlement might include the following:
- Medical expenses: Including future procedures, medicines, assistive equipment, therapy, and rehabilitation, are covered.
- Lost wages: Compensation for the income you were unable to earn as a result of the injury, both in the past and, if your earning capacity is impacted, possibly in the future.
- Pain and suffering: Compensation for financial losses brought on by the spinal cord injury’s physical pain, emotional misery, loss of enjoyment of life, and other non-economic damages.
- Disability and impairment: Compensation for long-term or permanent limits, disabilities, or impairments brought on by the injury, including changes to your home or car.
- Caregiver expenses: If your injury requires you to have help with daily tasks, compensation may pay for the cost of a caregiver or home health services.
- Additional damages: Depending on the facts, you might be eligible for additional compensation, such as punitive damages in cases where the offending party’s actions were exceptionally heinous.
Let the Heavy Hitters® Take On Your Case 804-250-5050
Establishing Fault in a Charlottesville Spinal Cord Injury Case
Typically, establishing fault entails demonstrating that another person’s carelessness or malicious behavior was the direct cause of your spinal cord damage. You might have to provide evidence of the following factors to prove fault:
- Show that the responsible party owed you a duty of care, which requires them to take reasonable steps to avoid harm.
- Show that the accountable person, either by negligence or willful wrongdoing, failed to uphold the standard of care required under the specific circumstances.
- Establish a direct link between the negligent or intentional acts of the liable party and your spinal cord damage. You must demonstrate that without their conduct, the injury would not have happened.
- Show proof of the real losses and harm.
Central Virginia's Top Rated Personal
Injury Lawyers 804-250-5050
Preparation for Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
Here are some actions you may take if you’re getting ready to seek a personal injury attorney for your spinal cord injury case:
- Research and referrals: Begin by carrying out in-depth research to locate competent spinal cord injury attorneys in your area. You can ask friends, family, or other reliable people who may have worked with personal injury lawyers for recommendations.
- Qualifications and expertise: Seek out attorneys with a proven track record of successfully securing favorable settlements or verdicts for their clients, as well as expertise with cases involving spinal cord injuries. Verify your lawyer’s credentials, history, and any pertinent memberships in professional organizations.
- Case evaluation: Describe your spinal cord injuries in detail during the consultations. Include any pertinent evidence, such as medical records and accident reports. Our attorney will assess the merits of your claim and give you advice regarding your legal choices and any potential compensation you may be due.
- Ask questions: Prepare a list of pertinent questions to ask during the sessions. Consider the following crucial issues:
- How many spinal cord injury cases have you handled?
- What percentage of the time do you succeed in getting your clients compensation?
- How will you contact me and inform me of developments in my case?
- Talk about legal fees: Make sure you comprehend the fee schedule for your attorney, including any contingency fees (a portion of the settlement or judgment). Inquire about any extra fees or charges that may be incurred during the legal process.
- Pay attention to client reviews: Learn about a lawyer’s reputation, professionalism, and communication abilities by reading evaluations or testimonials from prior clients. This can reveal important details regarding a firm’s capacity to manage personal injury cases successfully.
Let Us Be The Heavy Hitters® For Your Case Speak To An Attorney Now
Trustworthy Spinal Cord Injury Legal Help Awaits
Contact the Pendleton Law Team to speak with our spinal cord trauma lawyers regarding your Charlottesville, VA, injury case. Keep in mind that there is no commitment if we are not a fit for you and that the initial consultation is free of charge. In the end, if we are unable to win your case, you won’t be charged for services.
The Pendleton Law Team Is Here For You 804-250-5050