Although truck accidents don’t occur as often as other automobile accidents, the damage is often much more catastrophic. Consequently, the severity of injuries can be significant and lead to thousands of dollars in medical bills and even loss of life.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a serious truck-related accident due to another party’s negligence, an experienced Petersburg truck accident attorney can help you recover losses and get back on your feet. At Pendleton Law, we’re dedicated to helping you fight for a fair settlement or court-awarded compensation.
A Truck Accident Attorney in Petersburg Can Demand Compensation for Your Injuries
When you hire a truck accident attorney in Petersburg, their top priority is securing the highest possible compensation for your losses. Our lawyers have decades of experience fighting for truck accident claims, so you can rest assured that they’ll be able to win you a fair payment for any of the following injuries:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Brain trauma
- Spinal injuries
- Back and neck injuries
For a Free Legal Consultation
Call The Personal Injury Lawyer Hotline.
Wrongful Death Truck Accident Claims
If you lost a spouse or family member in a truck accident, we offer our sincerest condolences and support. We know how hard it must be, which is why we’ll do everything in our power to recover the damages you need to grieve in peace.
Here are some of the losses a wrongful death lawyer can win you compensation for:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of companionship
- Grief and mental anguish
Let the Heavy Hitters Take On Your Case 804-250-5050
Benefits of Hiring a Truck Accident Lawyer in Petersburg
A truck accident lawyer in Petersburg, VA, can help you handle the emotional aftermath of a truck accident. In addition to securing compensation for your physical injuries and medical expenses, your lawyer can also help you recover losses for post-traumatic stress and other negative mental impacts.
Another benefit of hiring an injury attorney is their ability to negotiate with insurance companies. Most insurers will try to take advantage of you and offer a settlement that is too low to cover your bills. A skilled attorney will be able to review any offers you receive and demand more money if necessary.
When insurance companies refuse to pay an appropriate amount, filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver or the trucking company may be the best course of action. An experienced truck accident lawyer will be able to build a winning case for you.
Central Virginia's Top Rated Personal
Injury Lawyers 804-250-5050
A Truck Accident Lawyer Will Hold the Correct Party Liable
In a commercial vehicle crash, there are several parties you could sue. There’s the driver, their employer, the manufacturer of the truck, and the truck’s mechanic. It’s your truck accident lawyer’s job to find out who is responsible for the incident and hold them accountable for their actions.
Targeting the wrong party can be a waste of time and money, which is why we’ll conduct a detailed investigation of your accident. Our truck accident attorneys will gather and analyze evidence to determine who should pay for your losses. Here’s some of the information we’ll collect:
- Driving logs. Commercial truck drivers are required to keep a log of their driving hours to ensure they are taking ample breaks and aren’t being overworked. This is an important safety measure because fatigued drivers are more likely to cause accidents. Your truck accident lawyer will request a copy of the driver’s log and determine if the accident was caused by a lack of rest.
- Cell phone records. Distracted driving causes severe accidents every year. Your lawyer will be able to gain access to the driver’s cell phone records and hold them accountable for your injuries, if it is found that they were using their phone when the accident occured.
- Security cameras. If there is any video footage of the accident, your lawyer will locate it and use it to bolster your case.
- Eye-witness testimony. If there were any pedestrians or other drivers who saw the accident happen, your attorney will reach out to them, record their account of the incident, and possibly call them to the witness stand if your case goes to trial.
Let Us Be The Heavy Hitters For Your Case Speak To An Attorney Now
Hiring a Petersburg Truck Accident Attorney Is Worth Your While
If you don’t want to accept an insurance company’s lowball settlement offer, a Petersburg truck accident attorney is on your side. You can be confident that they’ll protect your best interests and do everything they can to win you a fair payment.
There are several reasons why working with one of our experienced lawyers is worth you time, including the following:
- You won’t have to pay out of pocket. That’s right. Our lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis, which means they receive a portion of your settlement or jury-awarded payment. In the rare event that you lose your case, you won’t be responsible for any legal fees.
- They’ll make sure your claim is filed on time. In the state of Virginia there’s a statute of limitations for filing a truck accident injury claim. According to Code of Virginia § 8.01-243, the deadline for filing is two years from the date of the crash. A lawyer will make sure all the correct paperwork is filed correctly and in a timely manner.
- We can take on predatory insurance companies. With the amount of resources insurance companies have, getting them to offer an appropriate payment without the help of a skilled attorney is nearly impossible. Our lawyers are equipped to negotiate with large insurance companies, take them to court if necessary, and win you the compensation you need to recover.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
There are a number of different types of accidents that are unique to large commercial vehicles. Your attorney is familiar with all of them, and will be able to help you file a claim regardless of how your accident transpired. The accidents they’re familiar with include but aren’t limited to:
When a tractor-trailer comes to an abrupt stop it can swing out to one side and collide with other vehicles. The force of the crash can cause significant damage and harm to other drivers. Luckily, your lawyer will be able to win you compensation for any injuries you sustain in a jackknife accident.
When a truck’s cargo is inadequately secured it can come loose and spill onto the roadway or other vehicles. Some trucks carry extremely heavy loads that can crush other vehicles and create obstacles on the road that drivers might collide with.
When truck drivers lose control of their vehicles they can tip over onto one side or completely roll from one side to another. Any car in the rollover’s path could be crushed. If you were injured in a rollover accident, a lawyer can demand damages for your pain, suffering, and related bills.
Trucks have multiple large blind spots that block the driver’s view of the road and other vehicles. Drivers usually have special mirrors to help them circumvent this problem, but the sheer length of their vehicles sometimes makes them ineffective.
If you deliberately drive in a truck’s blind spot, you could be held liable for the accident. Many trailers carry warnings on the back about the dangers of blind spots on big vehicles. Heeding those signs can help you avoid a serious collision.
Truck Accident Statistics
According to reports published by the U.S. Department of Transportation, truck accidents aren’t going anywhere. After reading the following statistics, you’ll see why it’s important to have a truck accident attorney you can trust.
- In 2017, there were approximately 450,000 police-reported accidents involving large trucks.
- Of the police-reported truck accidents, 4,237 (1%) were fatal and 344,000 (23%) caused injury to other drivers.
- 20% of all fatal crashes were single-vehicle accidents (involving a bicyclist, pedestrian, non-motorized vehicle, etc.), whereas 63% of fatal large truck accidents involved two vehicles.
- 35% of all fatal truck accidents and 22% of all injury crashes took place at night.
- Rollover accidents were responsible for 4% of all fatal crashes involving large trucks and 3% of all nonfatal crashes.
- At least one large truck was involved in 30% of work zone fatal crashes and 12% of work zone injury crashes.
Large commercial vehicles are vital for transporting goods across the country, but because they operate on public roads, there is always a risk of an accident. Truck collisions can be severe and even deadly, but regardless of how badly you’re hurt, a Petersburg truck accident attorney will be here to help you get back on your feet.
Contact a Petersburg Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Our legal team at Christina Pendleton & Associates will move quickly to secure all the evidence we need to build your case. We’ll find out who is responsible for your injuries, and demand that they pay the amount you are owed.
Don’t let big insurance companies steamroll your claim. Call our truck accident lawyers in Petersburg, VA, today or fill out an online contact form to schedule a free case consultation.
The Pendleton Law Team Is Here For You 804-250-5050