Pedestrians are most at risk of suffering catastrophic physical harm in a car collision, out of motorists, cyclists, and motorcycle riders combined. Without the safety of airbags, seatbelts, or a helmet to cushion the impact, pedestrians struck by careless drivers frequently sustain injuries that necessitate months of medical care, some of whom fatally succumb to their injuries.
A Portsmouth, Virginia, pedestrian accident requires attorney help when injuries and property loss are too large for you to cover on your own. The Pendleton Law Team is ready to assist you in suing the negligent motorist for all of your losses and injuries if you were struck by an inattentive or reckless driver. Learn how our firm advocates for personal injury victims for free.
Essential Steps for Every Pedestrian Accident Victim to Take
After surviving the traumatic experience of a motorist or truck collision, if you are not severely injured, you will have to regain your composure to implement some pretty important steps for your case. There are some essential steps that every pedestrian accident victim should take:
- Go to the doctor: Regardless of whether you feel fine or if your injuries appear to be minor, visiting a medical professional post-wreck is essential to having your ailments diagnosed, noted, and treated.
- Contact law enforcement: Again, even if your injuries or property damage seem minimal, the details will need to be documented in case your injuries turn worse. A police report will serve as an official record, including details of your wreck from an authoritative source.
- Save evidence: If you are able to snag pictures of the scene, the accident damages, and photos of everyone’s injuries, it will help in the long run. Evidence from scenes can disappear or get lost, which impacts the validity of a claim sometimes. Photos and video evidence will preserve it so that the insurance company can’t contest fault.
- Never apologize or admit fault: Did you know that apologizing can be determined as an admission of guilt? After a collision, never apologize, imply that you didn’t see a person, or admit that it was your fault.
- Discuss your case with a qualified accident attorney: Select a Virginia pedestrian accident attorney near you that has quality ratings and a proven record of pedestrian accident cases. Their experience will help maximize your settlement offer during negotiations.
These steps will not only ensure your health but also protect you from unethical insurance tactics so that you receive fair compensation.
For a Free Legal Consultation
Call The Personal Injury Lawyer Hotline.
How Our Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Calculate a Portsmouth Injury Claim
Our attorneys combine their legal knowledge with expert opinion when figuring out the value of a Portsmouth pedestrian collision claim. They thoroughly examine every aspect of your case, including the seriousness of your injuries, the scope of your medical bills, and how the accident has affected your day-to-day activities.
The best compensation sum is then calculated using sophisticated algorithms to take into consideration all of your losses as well as potential future costs like further medical care or lost wages. To obtain further information and support for your claim, they may also consult with specialists in a variety of sectors, such as healthcare, economics, or vocational rehabilitation.
But there are other factors at play as well. The physical, emotional, and financial (non-economic) toll that a pedestrian accident may have on your life is something that our attorneys take into account while handling each case. They put in a lot of effort to make sure you get the most money possible, so you can concentrate on getting better and moving on from this horrible experience.
The Compensation Difference in Wrongful Death Claims
Unfortunately, some pedestrian accidents lead to the ultimate tragedy, in which a victim passes away due to their injuries. When this occurs, the estate of the decedent files a claim for their family to collect a compensation package.
Compensation for a wrongful death includes:
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral costs
- Burial expenses
- Medical bills
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of services
These cases can present challenges that are best navigated with a wrongful death lawyer who will help you achieve the fairest settlement possible or go to trial if necessary.
Let the Heavy Hitters® Take On Your Case 804-250-5050
Complexities of a Pedestrian Accident Case
It might be difficult to determine who was at fault in a pedestrian accident lawsuit, especially if there were no eyewitnesses to the collision. A thorough investigation might be necessary, involving the analysis of security footage, accident reconstruction, and expert consultation. While you focus on recovery, our legal team will evaluate and manage:
Potentially Responsible Parties
During the initial investigation, insurers will seek to determine liability. The following parties could potentially be liable for paying for damages after a pedestrian-car collision:
- Vehicle driver
- Vehicle manufacturer
- Government municipality that oversees street maintenance and traffic light operation
Deadlines to Meet
In each state, there is a time constraint placed on victims and their injury claims. The state of Virginia has a two-year legal deadline for filing a personal injury claim, such as a pedestrian accident. This means that, as a victim, you only have two years from the date of the account to submit a claim and pursue legal action.
Therapy for injuries, finding a lawyer, and establishing a new routine can take months off your timeline. Ensure that your claim is filed in a timely manner by seeking out qualified lawyers who work to expedite your case or inform you of the state’s exceptions if there are qualifying circumstances.
Central Virginia's Top Rated Personal
Injury Lawyers 804-250-5050
Get Fast and Affordable Legal Help After Your Portsmouth, VA, Pedestrian Accident
Getting hit by a car might result in injuries that alter your life. If you do not file a lawsuit against the individual who hit you, you can be forced to cope with your personal losses and medical expenses on your own. Fortunately, the Pendleton Law team has committed pedestrian accident attorneys to assess your Portsmouth, VA, bus accident claim right away. Contact us today.
Don’t hesitate to seek legal advice and assistance when you’re trying to get the compensation you’re entitled to. To find out more about how a lawyer from our office could assist you, give us a call right away.
The Pendleton Law Team Is Here For You 804-250-5050