Unexpected family deaths can be devastating and stressful. Financial difficulties can result from an untimely death in addition to emotional grief. If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s careless behavior, you and your family may be entitled to a lucrative wrongful death settlement.
In a free, no-obligation consultation, a lawyer from the Pendleton Law team can address your inquiries. An attorney for Portsmouth wrongful death cases can assist you in proving negligence, negotiating a fair payment, and representing your interests in court if needed. Confidently pursue justice for the unjust death of your loved one.
How Much It Costs To Retain a Wrongful Death Attorney
The price of hiring legal representation in Portsmouth, VA, can vary depending on the law firm, their level of expertise, and their area of practice. Our law firm provides quality, cost-effective legal services based on a contingency fee. This means that you will not be required to pay us anything until after we have won your case.
The process of filing a wrongful death claim can be expensive, from the cost of filing fees to hiring experts to confirm your claim. Instead of charging you a retainer, we allow our clients to focus on their recovery process and will collect our agreed-upon percentage from the awarded settlement.
Not all firms take this approach, but our team believes that you deserve time to grieve and be supported instead of being bombarded with another bill. This pricing structure also ensures that we maintain an attorney’s interest in resolving your case for the highest possible settlement amount.
For a Free Legal Consultation
Call The Personal Injury Lawyer Hotline.
Expenses Included in the Average Wrongful Death Settlement
A Virginia wrongful death lawyer understands Portsmouth settlement guidelines, such as the state capping wrongful death damages in certain instances. Regardless of the capped amount, there are a variety of expenses that can be recovered, such as:
- Pain and suffering: The family of the deceased can collect compensation for the emotional pain and suffering that the unexpected loss caused and possibly the suffering that their loved one endured as a result of the accident.
- Loss of consortium: This includes compensation for loss of companionship, guardianship, services, and other things that the decedent provided to their loved ones.
- Medical expenses: Any medical costs incurred prior to the death of the deceased person can be included in the settlement.
- Funeral and burial costs: Costs for the funeral and burial services can be requested in the demand letter.
- Lost wages: In cases where the decedent was the breadwinner or head of household, lost income, including future earning potential, can be compensated for.
- Punitive damages: While rare, this exemplary compensation is included to punish the responsible party and deter future instances from happening. In Virginia, there is a $350,000 cap for exemplary damages.
This non-exhaustive list of compensatory damages will vary per case and may include more than what is listed. In working with an unexpected death attorney on your Portsmouth wrongful death case, you will come to understand the full value of your claim and how many factors impact its settlement.
Let the Heavy Hitters® Take On Your Case 804-250-5050
Parties Eligible to Collect a Wrongful Death Settlement
Virginia uses a tier system to disburse settlement funds from a wrongful death case. The following parties are eligible to receive payment as awarded by the state:
- Spouse: If the deceased person was married, their surviving spouse might be able to receive compensation for their wrongful death.
- Children: Both biological and adopted children of the deceased person may be entitled to a wrongful death payment.
- Parents: In the absence of a spouse or children, the parents of the deceased person may be entitled to financial compensation for their loss.
- Siblings: If the deceased person has no surviving spouse, children, or parents, the siblings of that person may be entitled to financial compensation for their wrongful death.
The complexity of settlement collection arises when there are multiple beneficiaries. A seasoned attorney that has managed Portsmouth wrongful death cases can help you understand how much compensation you can receive as a claimant.
Central Virginia's Top Rated Personal
Injury Lawyers 804-250-5050
The Importance of Filing Your Wrongful Death Claim By the Deadline
There are several reasons why filing your wrongful death claim immediately is important.
Statute of Limitations
A statute of limitations that establishes a deadline for bringing a wrongful death claim exists in every state. You may not be able to obtain any compensation if you miss this deadline. In rare circumstances, the deadline may be as soon as one year after the person’s passing.
The faster you retain legal counsel, the more likely it is that you will know how much time you have to file according to Virginia’s wrongful death statute of limitations. Our personal injury attorneys can get your wrongful death case initiated for faster resolution.
Preservation of Key Evidence
The timely filing of a wrongful death claim will allow evidence to be recovered and saved properly, as well as for witnesses to have a clear and concise recollection that will stand in court. Over time, evidence may disappear, be destroyed, or crucial memories become forgotten. The strength of your claim relies on evidence that is relevant, valid, and credible.
Even though there is no distinct timeline for how long it takes to resolve a wrongful death claim, doing so will ensure that you are taking proper steps to secure you and your family’s financial future. The cost of burying a loved one, along with the lack of additional income or services, can cause financial hardships quickly. Get in front of the uncertainty by filing quickly.
Justice and Healing
Making a wrongful death claim will never be equivalent to having your loved one back, but with the compassionate and tenacious support of our wrongful death legal team, your Portsmouth case will be handled expeditiously so that you get the justice and closure that you deserve.
To make sure you meet the deadline and defend your legal rights, it is crucial to act quickly if you are thinking about bringing a wrongful death lawsuit. By enlisting the aid of a Virginia negligent death lawyer, you can help guarantee that your Portsmouth claim is submitted properly and that you are given just compensation.
Let Us Be The Heavy Hitters® For Your Case Speak To An Attorney Now
Seek Comprehensive Legal Support For Your Portsmouth Wrongful Death Case
An unexpected tragedy such as losing a loved one can be a spiraling event that leaves anyone unable to process emotions, make decisions, or handle financial responsibilities. Allow the wrongful death lawyers at the Pendleton Law Team to step in and manage your Portsmouth wrongful death claim as a first step to moving forward.
In your initial consultation, we will go over your case details, discuss our contingency-fee-pricing model, and estimate the value of your wrongful death claim. We provide empathetic legal guidance to our clients but are known as the “Heavy Hitters®” in the legal field because we don’t settle for less than what we know our clients deserve. Contact us today if you are ready.
The Pendleton Law Team Is Here For You 804-250-5050