Virginia Beach Wrongful Death Lawyer
If your spouse or loved one has passed away in an accident caused by the careless or negligent behavior of another person, our hearts go out to you. The team at Pendleton Law understands how difficult the sudden loss of a family member can be, which is why our wrongful death lawyers in Virginia Beach are prepared to file a claim on your behalf.
This is probably an extremely frustrating time for you and your family, but there are damages that can make your life easier. The money your attorney wins for you will help you honor the deceased, support yourself, and give you the time you need to complete the mourning process.
Types of Fatal Accidents Our Virginia Beach Lawyer Can File a Wrongful Death Claim for
Our Virginia Beach attorneys have filed wrongful death claims for a number of different types of accidents. They have the experience necessary to secure favorable results no matter the circumstances of your loved one’s passing. They’ll be able to help you recover compensation for any of the following wrongful death accidents:
- Car, bus, truck, and pedestrian accidents
- Medical malpractice incidents
- Defective product injuries
- Workplace accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Animal attacks
These are just a few of the accidents we can help you secure a settlement for. Our attorneys have decades of experience fighting for grieving family members, so there’s no case that’s too complicated for them to handle.
Wrongful Death Damages Your Lawyer Can Secure in Virginia Beach
There are a variety of damages that can help you and your family through this dark period of time. Once your attorney has evaluated your losses and the accident your loved one was fatally injured in, they’ll know exactly which of the following damages you’re eligible to receive:
- Medical bills. If your loved one received medical care at a hospital before they passed, you’ve probably received their treatment bill. These damages can cover any end-of-life medical expenses you’ve inherited from the deceased.
- Lost income. If you were financially dependent on the deceased, you might be wondering how you’ll be able to take care of yourself in the coming months. We want to make this time as comfortable as possible for you, which is why our wrongful death attorneys in Virginia Beach will get you compensation for lost income.
- Pain and suffering. Losing someone close to you in a tragic accident can be incredibly painful and psychologically harming. While these damages can’t bring your loved one back, they can help you cope with the suffering you’ve been forced to endure.
- Funeral expenses. A proper funeral and burial can be expensive, especially if you haven’t had time to plan and budget. These damages can be used to give your loved one a memorable farewell.
- Punitive damages. Punitive damages are reserved for accidents caused by individuals who displayed gross negligence and extreme carelessness. They are meant to punish the guilty party and serve as a reminder to others not to engage in similar activities.
These damages will help you and your family cope with your loss, celebrate the life of the deceased, and afford the costs that come with a fatal accident. In order to win all the compensation you’re entitled to receive, your attorney will have to negotiate a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance provider.
A Wrongful Death Attorney in Virginia Beach Will Negotiate With Insurers
You’d think that insurance companies would be compassionate and offer grieving family members the money they deserve. But unfortunately, insurers are always looking for ways to protect their bottom line and reduce their client’s liability. That means your Virginia Beach attorney will have to negotiate with them to reach an ample wrongful death settlement.
Insurers can be stubborn and reluctant to offer a sufficient payment, but our lawyers are highly skilled negotiators. Our team will use their abilities and communication expertise to get insurance adjusters to comply with their demands. They’ll use evidence from your loved one’s accident to convince insurers that they’re responsible for your losses.
If negotiations go well, you’ll get the payment you need to cover your losses. However, if our attorneys are unsuccessful in securing a settlement, they’ll have to take your case to trial. Whether your case is resolved at the negotiating table or in the courtroom, you and your family will get the compensation you’re owed.
Determining Who Gets the Money From a Wrongful Death Claim in Virginia Beach
The money won from a wrongful death claim is usually divided up amongst the decedent’s surviving family members. Their spouse, children, and grandchildren may be given a portion of the compensation, but only if they received financial assistance from the deceased in the year before their death.
The parents, siblings, and other relatives of the deceased may also be granted a percentage of the settlement, regardless of whether or not they received support. The Virginia Beach wrongful death attorney who files your claim will refer to Virginia Code § 64.2-200 to determine how much money each party is awarded.
A Wrongful Death Lawyer Will Get Your Claim Filed Before Virginia Beach’s Deadline
All wrongful death claims must be filed before the legal deadline described in the statute of limitations. Virginia Code § 8.01-244 allows family members two years from their day of their loved one’s death to file a claim. Waiting too long to get in touch with a lawyer could put your claim in jeopardy and stop you from getting your much-needed settlement.
To maximize your chances of receiving compensation, we suggest hiring a wrongful death attorney as soon as you can. They’ll make sure your Virginia Beach claim is filed in accordance with the laws that apply to it.
Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney to Get Started on Your Claim in Virginia Beach
Taking the right steps after the death of a loved one can help you celebrate the life of the deceased and give you the time you need to mourn their passing. One of those steps is contacting a wrongful death lawyer in Virginia Beach. A lawyer can help you build a claim, negotiate a settlement, and divide compensation among surviving family members.
The team at Pendleton Law is here to assist you during this dark and painful time. Our compassionate lawyers will handle the legal side of things and keep you informed on important developments in your case. They’ll make sure this process is as stress-free as possible for you and your family. Contact us today for a free consultation.