Due to their size and weight, large commercial vehicles like semi-trucks and 18-wheelers have the potential to be fatal in an accident and cause significant damage. Therefore, you should seek the assistance of our 18-wheeler truck accident lawyers near Suffolk if you were hurt or a loved one was killed in a truck accident.
Most of the time, truck drivers are the ones at fault, so you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. At The Pendleton Law Team, we commit ourselves to obtaining just financial compensation for you and other Suffolk truck accident victims. Never make any out-of-pocket payments for your damages. Instead, speak to one of our experienced truck accident attorneys serving Suffolk, VA, and its surrounding areas.
Parties Responsible for Your Losses Following an 18-Wheeler Truck Crash
In Virginia, several parties may be held accountable for the victim’s losses and damages as a result of an 18-wheeler truck crash. For the purpose of pursuing a personal injury claim, understanding these parties is essential. The principal parties that could be held liable under Virginia’s personal injury legislation are listed below:
- Truck driver: If the truck driver’s negligence—such as careless driving, speeding, or driving while intoxicated—contributed to the accident, they may be held accountable.
- Trucking company: The truck driver’s employer is liable for any wrongdoing or carelessness committed by their employee. The company can be responsible for the damages if the driver was acting within the scope of their employment at the time of the collision.
- Truck owner: If a party other than the trucking company, such as a leasing firm or an individual, owns the truck that was involved in the collision, they may be jointly and severally liable for the accident and the ensuing losses.
- Maintenance company: The organization in charge of maintaining the truck may be held liable if a mechanical issue or poor maintenance resulted in the collision.
- Cargo loaders: The people or business in charge of loading the truck may be held liable for damages if the accident was brought on by inaccurate loading or securing of the goods.
- Manufacturers: The maker of the truck or particular parts may be held liable for damages if the accident was caused by a flaw in the truck or one of its parts.
It is crucial to speak with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney near Suffolk who can properly examine the incident, pinpoint the at-fault parties, and create a compelling case to obtain financial recompense for your losses.
For a Free Legal Consultation
Call The Personal Injury Lawyer Hotline.
Calculating the Recoverable Damages Included in an 18-Wheeler Accident Settlement Claim
Trucking accidents are not simple to calculate before having a medical overview of your injuries and the amount of coverage the at-fault party has. However, most truck accident settlements award victims anywhere from thousands to millions of dollars to cover the following expenses:
- Medical bills: This includes any healthcare expenses related to your accident injuries, such as prescription costs, medical equipment, ongoing treatment, and in-home care.
- Lost wages: Any decreased revenue or loss of income as a result of being hit by an 18-wheeler is eligible for reimbursement, including future pay or diminished income due to having to change professions.
- Emotional anguish: Anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and loss of enjoyment of life are considered the non-economic damages that accident victims can recoup financial compensation for.
- Property loss: Chances are, your vehicle is totaled or severely damaged. Property, including your phone, laptop, furniture, etc., that was damaged in the car when the collision occurred are all subject to being refunded
In accordance with settlement regulations for Suffolk 18-wheeler truck accidents, attorneys from our firm will assess your damages with vocational experts and other specialists to estimate the total value of your truck accident injury claim. Some elements, like loss of consortium and pain and suffering, can be harder to quantify, but our legal team will stop at nothing to have you fairly compensated.
Estimating an 18-Wheeler Truck Crash Wrongful Death Settlement
Much like the personal injury settlement, various factors will come into play to determine how much you can win in a wrongful death case following an 18-wheeler truck crash. Generally, the estate or loved ones of the decedent are able to collect compensatory damages for medical bills, lost pay, emotional pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of consortium, and possibly punitive damages.
It is crucial to speak with a qualified wrongful death attorney regarding your Suffolk case to determine the amount of your wrongful death settlement following an 18-wheeler truck incident.
Let the Heavy Hitters® Take On Your Case 804-250-5050
Elements that Can Jeopardize Your Truck Accident Settlement Claim in Virginia
The statute of limitations that pertains to personal injury lawsuits in Virginia defines the time range within which you must file a lawsuit to obtain compensation for your injuries. Failing to submit within the allotted time could result in the loss of your legal rights. Victims in Suffolk, VA, have up to two years to submit a claim for property damage, personal injuries, and wrongful death.
It is important to note that sharing responsibility can prevent you from receiving financial compensation. Few jurisdictions still enforce contributory negligence in personal injury claims, but Virginia is one of them. If you think your window of opportunity has closed or that you may potentially share fault for the truck wreck, seek legal advice before speaking to the insurance company.
Central Virginia's Top Rated Personal
Injury Lawyers 804-250-5050
Obtain a Fair Settlement With the Support of a Winning Personal Injury Law Firm Near Suffolk
The Pendleton Law Team is comprised of personal injury lawyers and 18-wheeler truck accident attorneys who serve Suffolk with full dedication and tenacity in our pursuit of justice. With us, you will never have to worry about being overcharged or unheard, as we aim to provide affordable and caring legal help.
Contact us today if you are ready to assess the damages from your 18-wheeler truck accident in Suffolk. Our team of skilled attorneys will provide a free consultation to discuss all the details of your case and prepare you for what to expect throughout the duration of your claim.
The Pendleton Law Team Is Here For You 804-250-5050